This post is also available in: Dutch
Why is personal information collected?
Information is collected in order to send gift cards, redeem gift cards, provide better customer support, make our marketing more relevant, prevent fraud, do market research, and improve our services.
Which personal data is requested and how long do we store the data?
The personal data that we require depends on the services ordered through our website. As a guiding principle, we only request the minimum required data to fulfil the service. For example, when purchasing the gift card, the address is only asked for if you order a physical gift card to be shipped to your address. When redeeming a gift card, only the minimum required personal details are requested in order to complete the booking. For example, most airlines generally only require the names and dates of birth of the passengers, in which case we will only ask for these details. All personal data is stored for 7 years.
Furthermore, if you visit our websites, even if you do not make a reservation, we may collect certain information, such as your IP address, which browser you are using, and information about your computer’s operating system, application version, language settings and pages that have been shown to you. If you are using a mobile device, we might also collect data that identifies your mobile device, device-specific settings and characteristics, and latitude/longitude details.
Which data is shared with third parties?
In specific circumstances, we may share your personal data with third parties.
• Competent authorities: We may share your personal information with government or investigative authorities if we are required by law (or any regulation having the force of law) to do so. Such requirements include court orders, subpoenas, and orders arising from legal processes and criminal investigations. We may also disclose your personal data if it is strictly necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal acts.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small bits of information that are placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit almost any website. Cookies do not recognize you personally and are not harmful to your computer or mobile device. They are used by websites you visit in order to improve your experience on the website.
What types of cookies do we use?
• Essential cookies: These cookies help you to move around our site and use all its essential features. Without these cookies, our website would not work properly and you would not be able to use features such as the shopping basket or the secure customer account pages.
• Performance and analytics cookies: These cookies help us understand how our website is being used and how we can improve your website experience. These cookies cannot identify you personally as they provide us with anonymous information to help us understand which parts of our website interest our visitors and if they experience any errors. We use these cookies to test different designs and features for our website and we also use them to help us monitor how our visitors reach our sites and how effective our advertising is.
• Functionality cookies: These cookies save your settings on our website such as your language preference and booking information that you have previously used when booking a hotel with us. Some functionality cookies are essential if you want to view videos and maps on our site.
• Advertising cookies: These cookies help ensure that the advertisements you see on our website are as relevant to you as possible. For example, some advertising cookies help select advertisements that are based on your interests. Others help prevent the same advertisement from continuously reappearing for you.
• Social networking cookies: These cookies, which are usually set by the social networking provider, enable such social event sharing to be smooth and seamless.
How can I manage my cookies?
You can set or amend your web browser controls to delete or disable cookies. If you choose to disable cookies on your computer or mobile device however, your access to some functionality and areas of our website may be degraded or restricted. www.allaboutcookies.org provides good simple instructions on how to manage cookies on the different types of web browsers.
Where can I get further information?